These are some of the new trends of research areas that you can look forward into Computer Engineering/ Computer Science Engineering/ Information and Technology for doing your research work.
New Trends in Research Area:
- Algorithms and Theory
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Autonomic Computing and Communication
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber Forensics
- Data Management
- Data Mining
- Decision Support System
- Distributed & Parallel System
- E-Commerce/ E-Business/ E-Learning/ E-Governance/ E-Society
- Education Innovation
- Expert System
- Fuzzy Logic
- General Science
- Genetic Algorithm
- Geographic Information System
- Grid & Cluster Computing
- Information Retrieval and the Web
- Hardware and Architecture
- Health Informatics/ Health Monitoring System
- Human-Computer Interaction and Visualization
- Hybrid System
- Image Processing
- Internet & Web Technologies
- Machine Perception/ Machine Learning
- Machine Translation
- Mobile Software Engineering
- Mobile System/ Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Neural Networks
- Next Generation Networks
- Pattern Recognition
- Re-engineering & Reverse Engineering
- Real-Time Systems
- Security, Cryptography, and Privacy
- Semantic Web
- Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Soft computing
- Software Engineering
- Software System
- Speech Processing
- Web Engineering
- Wireless Sensor Networks
As from the previous blog, we understood the basics of Research. Now, we will explore the process of doing research.
1- Understanding Research: Firstly, understand what research basically is.
2- Review Different Research Area: Then, Have a per review over the different areas of research that are possible in your field & try to find new research trends, by review scholarly material or exploring information over internet (Note: every materials provided on internet cannot be consider scholarly, but at least you can get basic information or initial information regarding any possible research areas and trends). Doing this, do not go through deep understanding of every area, a little upper peek to have proper understanding about areas would be fine.
Try to get answer of question given below.
I: What is this Research area contributing to world?
II: Do you really have great INTEREST in exploring this research area? (Note: this is very important question that needed to be answered, as a researcher never do research work other than your interest)
III: Is there any scope of new research trends in this research area?
3- Finding Problems: After having a look over different areas, now you might have selected an area that you need to research on and have interest in it. So further, now narrowing the flow, explore more about selected research area. Try to find complications in that particular area that needed to be rectified doing research. Go through scholarly materials for understanding of problems in depth to have a proper understanding of all problems under the research area. And then select the problem.
4- Defining your Research Work (/Research problem): now after finding define and aim your research work.
The definition of the problem consists of the following components:
- The goal of the research (what do I hope to achieve with the research?)
- The research questions (what knowledge do I need to achieve this objective?)
5- Literature Review: Now, a thorough study is required which can be achieved by studying peer-reviewed materials and scholarly publication on the research problem.
Steps in literature Review:
I: a proper study and analysis of all scholarly materials related to research problems
II: then a proper study of available solution on the research domain. (It is not necessary to have available solution, but knowledge is too vast, many researchers have already done researches in various different fields so there is a big probability of finding a prior solution)
III: analysis of every solution available (if you don’t find any prior solution, then you need to develop first solution to the problem)
IV: Find pros and cons of every solution available.
V: go through every statistical data available. (Data can be gathered by implementing current solution and also to proper understanding)
6- Proposing new Solution: After having a proper understanding of problem with their current solution, it’s time to derive a solution which can overcome the cons of other solution previously available and try to have most of pros of them. Apart from this, if there is no solution available you can derive your own first solution which can help in rectifying the problem and overcome the flaws of the system.
7- Implementation: after designing proposed model, implementation of design is carried out. It can be done either by real world entities or by simulation according to need and availability.
8- Research Report: Every research at the end needs a proper documentation part. A proper report of Research which consists of your research’s every minute detail from literature study to practical implementation; everything should be covered while documenting the Research work. Every Result with all advantage and disadvantage of your research should be included in report.
“Research is the creative systematic study/investigation/observation of former materials and sources in order to enhance the stock of knowledge, which will be helpful to establish facts, reach new conclusions and get practical solution of the progressive problems.”
Research involves inductive and deductive methods. Inductive methods analyze the observed phenomenon and identify the general principles, structures, or processes underlying the phenomenon observed; deductive methods verify the hypothesized principles through observations. The purposes are different: one is to develop explanations, and the other is to test the validity of the explanations.
“The heart of Research is not on statistics, but the thinking behind the research.”
For this followings are the key point that should be kept in consideration for Research Work :-
- how we really want to find out?
- how we build arguments about ideas and concept?
- and what evidence that we can give to support and persuade people to accept our arguments.
Gall, Borg and Gall (1996) proposed four types of knowledge that research contributed to education as follows:
- Description: Results of research can describe natural or social phenomenon, such as its form, structure, activity, change over time, relationship to other phenomena. The descriptive research results in our understanding of what happened based on observation.
- Prediction: Prediction research is intended to predict a phenomenon that will occur at time Y from information at an earlier time X.
- Improvement: This type of research is mainly concerned with the effectiveness of intervention. The research approach include experimental design and evaluation research.
- Explanation: This type research subsumes the other three: if the researchers are able to explain an educational phenomenon, it means that they can describe, can predict its consequences, and know how to intervene to change those consequences.
This what Research is. In our next blog, we will come up with more detailed information of Research, Research purpose and Proper Research Flow. So Subscribe blog and keep looking for more information.